Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:35:16 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Matt Piechota <piechota@argolis.org>
Cc:        mike <mike@coloradosurf.com>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named dying on INSIST

In message <Pine.BSF.4.31.0103291343560.7951-100000@cithaeron.argolis.org>, Mat
t Piechota writes:
>On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
>> >My machine does this constantly.  Are you also getting "microuptime wnet
>> >backwards" messages on the consle/syslog?
>>
>> Sigh, I thought Intel couldn't fuck up the Pentium family anymore
>> when it came to timekeeping, but they've done it again with the
>> new clock-throtteling stuff.
>
>Just to make sure: my particular machine is an AMD K6-2 350 on a VIA
>Apollo based motherboard.  So on my machine is a problem with the board,
>not clock reduction stuff.  Although the point is valid, it's not the case
>this time around.

AMD still to a large extent dances to Intels architectural flute.
This was particularly the case with the K6 which is plug compatible
with the P5.

>Oddly enough, I haven't had a 'microuptime went backwards' message in the
>last couple days, since I've cvsup'd.

It gets worse when interrupt latency gets bad.  Some of the SMPng
transformations have had bad side effects but so far things seems
to straighten themselves out after some time.