Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 97 21:00:14 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        "crtb@capecod.net" <crtb@capecod.net>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2940 Ultra?

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 06:59:07 -0700 (PDT), Chuck <crtb@capecod.net>
wrote:
>I can't find it in the RELNOTES, but is the Adaptec 2940 Ultra
>supported in 2.2.2?

Yes it works

>In particular, is simultaneous data transfer between multiple SCSI
>devices possible with this board?

I don't know if it is simultaneous, but it sure works fine with my
Seagate (CTM8000 external) tape backup.

>I have such a board in a new box (FreeBSD 2.2.2 has installed OK)
>with one disk so far, and am looking for an affordable tape drive
>to go on it.

I paid $499 for this tape unit, including OS/2 software. I have seen it
internal for $379 (don't remember where though). On OS/2 with fast
compression (software) I almost get 40MB/min. I have only used tar to
backup on FreeBSD so I don't know how fast it went.

Can anyone recommend backup software for FreeBSD? I am going to check
the packages/ports this weekend when I have some time, but wonder if
anyone has had any good experience with any particular port.