Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 07:55:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        PLAZAS_CHRISTIAN@mercury.csg.peachnet.edu (Christian)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about mail -- mail gurus please help

Christian wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I would like to know if it is possible, using any tools available
> in UNIX - FreeBSD in particular, to set up a system that would
> automatically answer mail sent to any user on the system with a stock
> message.  Let me try to explain what I would like to do more clearly.
>  Say a person sends a message to someuser@cc.csg.peachnet.edu.  What
> I would like is to have the machine take the sender's address from
> the message and return to them a message that says something like
> "someuser@cc.csg.peachnet.edu can no longer receive mail at this
> address. The new address is someuser@ColState.EDU please make note of
> this change."  Simple enough, huh?  But it gets more interesting....
> Ideally the user should not need to have an account on the system
> that does this forwarding.  What I mean is, that any and all mail
> sent to any name @cc.csg.peachnet.edu be sent this message, wether or
> not the user's name exists on the host.  i.e. I can send a message to
> cplazas@cc.csg.peachnet.edu or mickey_mouse@cc.csg.peachnet.edu and
> both would get the same reply even if mickey_mouse was not a user on
> the system.   Is this possible?

	to do this on an person by person basis is easy.  use REDIRECT
	add to your /etc/aliases file on the mailhost for cc.csg.peachnet.edu

someuser:	someuser@ColState.EDU.REDIRECT

add to your .mc file: feature(redirect)

redirect        Reject all mail addressed to "address.REDIRECT" with
                a ``551 User not local; please try <address>'' message.
		If this is set, you can alias people who have left
		to their new address with ".REDIRECT" appended.

	create a new .cf using m4 and install.
	dont forget to kill and restart sendmail

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/