Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 22:21:08 -0400
From:      "John Wilson" <affliction@earthlink.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   AlphaStation 4/233

Hello.

I am considering the purchase of a used AlphaStation 4/233 and was wondering
if anyone has experience installed FreeBSD on this beast.  I've never dealt
with this hardware before and am curious as to if this would make a decent
FreeBSD box.  Before I plunk down the cash for it, I'd like to be assured
that FreeBSD would work well with it, otherwise it'll just be a rather
expensive paper weight.

If anyone does indeed run FreeBSD on this machine, would you be able to post
your experience with it?  Also, I checked out Compaq's website, and found
out that this hardware is "retired."  I poked around and noticed that the
firmware they list for the 200 series supports the AlphaStation 4/250.  Does
this mean that this firmware is not suitable for the 4/233?  Will I run into
trouble?

Thank you for your time,
John Wilson