Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 17:59:34 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        durkin <durkin@matter.net>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc.firewall and ipfw commands

> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
>
> > In my firewall configurations I modify rc.firewall to recognize a
> > "user" firewall type (for user defined) and specify
> > firewall_type="user" in my rc.conf.  The "user" firewall type executes
> > /usr/local/etc/rc.firewall.local instead of one of the predefined
> > firewall types in rc.firewall.  This may be a handy feature in the
> > stock FreeBSD rc.firewall.  If anyone wishes I can submit a PR to have
> > this included in the FreeBSD distribution.
> >

> Actually, FreeBSD's rc.firewall already has the ability to load ipfw
> commands contained within a file. Just specify the firewall type as the
> filename which contains the commands.

That is true, however one may wish to use a shell script to dynamically
build a firewall based on various dynamic conditions.  rc.firewall gets
executed early enough in the boot that it may make my point moot, in
which case rc.firewall would block everything, except DNS and NIS, then
rc.local would open the firewall a bit, once applications are up using
a more dynamic firewall setup script which would scan the system
looking for ports to open up, and make the system useful again, e.g.
open up ypserver port (which is dynamically assigned) only to NIS
clients.

You're probably right that no change to the existing rc scripts is
required.  I'll have to think about this a little more...

Open Systems Group          Internet:  cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Government of BC