Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 18:49:54 -0400
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        "Derek C ." <coffee@blarg.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please be nice to the newbie....

Pretty general question....Going through LINT helped me when trying to
decide on which options I needed.  In general, I copy GENERIC to my machine
name (for example, SHUMAI), then edit SHUMAI, and remove all device drivers
and options I don't need.  Then, I add in other options and devices that
might not be in GENERIC.

Something you really should change is the maxusers option.  32 is way too
small in general.  For big machines, I use 256, and for more workstation
type machines, I use 128.  macusers doesn't affect the maximum amount of
simultaneous users per se, but it does affect many resource calculations
(like number of open files).

Recent versions of FreeBSD >= 4.0 are really good about detecting hardware
and enabling performance tweaks where appropriate (like UDMA on ATA
drives).

If you have specific questions as you go, let us know.

Joe Clarke