Date:      Wed, 29 Feb 2012 17:34:55 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com>, Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>, Andriy
Subject:   Re: revisiting tunables under Safe Mode menu option

On Feb 28, 2012, at 5:46 AM, John Baldwin wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:23:11 am Scott Long wrote:
>> I still think that it's useful to be able to disable ACPI.  Just because=
=20
> ACPI works well on modern hardware doesn't mean that everything crummy fr=
om=20
> 2000-2007 suddenly disappeared off the face of the earth.  But I agree th=
at=20
> turning it off on modern systems probably does more harm than good.  Henc=
e my=20
> suggestion for a finer control over this in the menu.  Maybe Devin Teske =
can=20
> lend some help with this task?

.oO(uh oh, what'd I do now?)

>  For extra credit, it should be possible to=20
> write a simple static analysis tool that collects all of the tunables tha=
t are=20
> compiled into the kernel and generates a data file that the boot menu can=
=20
> process and turn into interactive knobs for the user.
>=20
> Hmm, with the newer boot menu, can't one now toggle safe mode and ACPI=20
> independently?

Semi-independently; ordered rather.

Toggling Safe Mode On will toggle ACPI Off. This is the only real example o=
f one menu item reaching into another menu item, and it only happens when t=
oggling Safe Mode on (not off).

Despite the above description, it is in-fact intuitive and the effects are =
as-expected.

Booting Safe Mode with ACPI enabled is no harder than toggling Safe Mode on=
 [first] before [then] re-enabling ACPI (followed by ENTER).

>  (Assuming we haven't removed the ability to disable ACPI from=20
> the menu, if we have we should perhaps put that back). Having them be=20
> orthogonal knobs would seem to the be the best approach.
>=20

+1 on keeping the menu items loosely entwined (ACPI stands alone, but Safe =
Mode knows about ACPI but only acts on it when being enabled).
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.