Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 10:43:43 -0800
From:      "Ulf Zimmermann" <ulf@Lamb.net>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        vadim@tversu.ac.ru
Subject:   Re: EFS

On Oct 31,  5:52pm, J Wunsch wrote:
> Subject: Re: EFS
> As Warner Losh wrote:
>
> > SGI is currently supporting a Linux port to their machines.  However,
> > I've not seen that code released yet.  When it is, maybe that will be
> > enough documentation to port code.  But then again, maybe not.  It is
> > supposed to support efs as well, or so the rumors I've heard say.
>
> Btw., IRIX' efs is among the most fragile file systems i've seen (or
> its particular implementation in IRIX 5.2 and 5.3, maybe).  One power
> failure or panic, and even X servers (guaranteed to be only read,
> never written) went away through /dev/null...
>
> --
> cheers, J"org
>
> joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
> Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)
>-- End of excerpt from J Wunsch

Joerg,

I never did that observation on 5.3, also not 6.2. Irix is for me one of the
best unix machines there you can press the reset button. Even the rest of Irix
is a different story. But SGI now says also to use XFS instead of EFS. XFS is
faster and more secure against crash.

--
Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-769-2936
Lamb Art Internet Services | http://www.Lamb.net/ | http://www.Alameda.net