Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 05:42:46 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] Domain names that are just numbers -- what's this??

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 09:02:40AM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> In 4.3-STABLE I also get;
>=20
>=20
> wash:~$ ping -c 1 808517866170
> ping: cannot resolve 808517866170: Unknown host
>=20
> wash:~$ traceroute 808517866170
> traceroute: unknown host 808517866170
>=20
> Seems like we're the only victims ;-)

In the sources of 5.0-CURRENT CVSup'ed tonight (which has the same
`problem', if one may call it that) it appears that this error message
is printed by the code of /usr/src/sbin/ping/ping.c when it does:

   434                  hp =3D gethostbyname2(target, AF_INET);
   435                  if (!hp)
   436                          errx(EX_NOHOST, "cannot resolve %s: %s",
   437                               target, hstrerror(h_errno));

The problem is with some change in the implementation of
gethostbyname2(), and I will look into that code to see what causes
this `different' behavior.

I am not sure if we *do* want this to work though, regardless of what
other operating systems do.

-giorgos

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO--