Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 17:16:13 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        didier@omnix.fr.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I would like your comment on this configuration

On Jan 9, 17:20, didier@omnix.fr.org wrote:
}
} Mother Board:  ASUS P/I-P55TP4XE Rev 2.1 bios #401A0-0106 (Award)
} Processor:     Pentium 133
} Cache:         512k PB
} Memory:        128Mb 60ns (DRAM)
} SCSI:          Adaptec 2940W
} Hard disks:    2 x Seagate Barracuda Fast Wide SCSI 2 Go
} Video:         Miro 20SV  (S3-964, 2Mb VRAM)
} DAT:           Conner 4326 4/8 Gb

I'd definitely choose the HP1533A !

It is some three times faster than the Conner,
i.e. does 514KB/s (times compression factor).

Doing backups, I see some 800KB/s to 1100KB/s
written to tape (depending on whether the data
had been compressible or mostly compressed
archives).

Regarding DDS-2: I've heard multiple times,
that DDS-2 tapes are not reliable. And since
somebody had recorded nuclear physics data
on DDS-2 tapes and had found no way to read
back more than a few MB, I tried myself and
now would never again trust 120m DDS-2 tapes.

Backups to /dev/null are nearly as good, and
much cheaper (media cost) and faster :-)

} Ethernet:      2 x SMC PCI Ethernet 100
}
} Is this configuration ok for FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE ?

Guess it is Ok. Does the Miro come with a
fast RAMDAC (175MHz or 200MHz) and a 24bit
CLUT ?

My 20SD seems to have only a 135 RAMDAC (didn't
check the chip, but there is a large difference
between my 1280x1024 X terminal and the 20SD
driving the same 19" monitor: The X terminal
offers much sharper vertical lines and an
overall better picture quality).

It offers only a 6 bits RGB CLUT, i.e. there
is no difference at all between #808080 and
#838383 ...

This is of course only important, if those
systems are meant to be used as workstations.

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160