Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 22:54:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: core group topics

 * I was wondering if core has been discussing the two topics lately that
 * can't really move without core approval?

Sorry, I've been busy/away for the past few days.

 * 1) Satoshi's new Makefile.  His makefile has been around plenty long

This is not a "policy" issue anyway, I don't think core's approval is
needed.  (Right, the rest of core? :)

 * enough for testing, and while several people have reported good results,
 * I've seen no negatives reported at all.  Will it get ignored or committed?

It will be committed soon.  I had the impression that Bruce was
unhappy about some of the environment variables, but haven't gotten
around to verify what exactly is the fix.

However, I don't have a -current machine to test anymore, so I'm not
sure if I can support -current.  I'll send out a patch for -stable
later tonight.

 * 2) John Polstra's ELF work.  He's done all the work that anyone could
 * possibly want, to move FreeBSD to ELF.  There are several good reasons to
 * move, and none excepting inertia not to.  I know that moving FreeBSD to
 * ELF isn't a high priority project, but all the work's been done, the
 * benefits are real, and it's high time to consider it.

This would have to be decided by core.  Myself, I have no idea what
ELF offers that a.out doesn't (other than what John said), but if we
can get rid of the "text relocation error" that pops up all over the
place during package builds, that's good news enough for me. :)

Satoshi