Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:46:46 +1000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <andrew@lake.com.au>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 11:29:22PM -0400, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 03:44:47PM -0700, Sean Eric Fagan wrote:
> >
> > They're dropping it, and going with what NeXTStEP uses, for MacOS X -- each
> > "application" is a directory, and has certain files in the directory.  These
>
> /usr/bin/rm/icons/{icon1, icon2, ...}
> /usr/bin/rm/executable
> /usr/bin/rm/cmd_arg_format
> /usr/bin/jot/icons/{icon1, icon2, ...}
> /usr/bin/jot/executable
> /usr/bin/jot/cmd_arg_format
> /usr/bin/find/icons/{icon1, icon2, ...}

Well, I think that looks significantly more hideous than the
plan I suggested.

Besides, none of /usr/bin are ever going to be executed by a
double-click, and simply don't need that kind of elaboration.
The things that need icons and what-have-you are the things that
behave like GUI applications.  Sure, that's most of
/usr/X11R6/bin, but they already have all of those auxiliary
files scattered around the place, and you don't seem to mind
that.

I'm not sure where John Birrel was going with his original
proposal, but does anyone actually suggest that the way to
operate a system is to have a file viewer open up and show icons
for all of the utilities in /usr/bin?  Sounds perfectly hideous
to me.

> I don't think I have that many inodes available...

That strikes me as a particularly feeble argument.

--
Andrew