Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 13:56:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Haobo Yu <haoboy@isi.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        faber@isi.edu
Subject:   bad blocks on hard disk

Greetings,

I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.2 on a PC. It worked great until last week. A
power failure left many bad blocks on my hard disk (Seagate ST36450, IDE),
both in my swap partition and my home partition. I looked through the
handbook and FAQ and man pages, bad144 and badsect are the only thing I
could find.

I tried to use bad144 to correct it, but it complained about
too many bad blocks in a slice. It seems that bad144 can only handle 126
bad sectors per slice and I got too many.

I couldn't use badsect because (1) my swap partition is corrupted; (2) I
don't know how to generate a list of all bad sectors.

I also tried to reformat my partition using /stand/sysinstall. It seems
that it also relies on bad144, and newfs simply doesn't do surface check
at all. So this try failed again.

Does anybody know any solution to mark these bad blocks so that they will
not be used again? Is there anything like Norton Disk Doctor or Sun's
format in FreeBSD?

Thank you very much.

- Haobo