Date:      5 Nov 2000 14:46:53 -0000
From:      sharpmind2@371.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   my printer doesnt work

I'v A canon bjc-1000ps printer (a printer for home usage)
I linked it to parallel port "lpt0"

From booting message  I knew it had been probed.
Then I did as what the freebsd-handbook said:

" lptest> /dev/lpt0" didnt work, so I guessed my printer didnt support plain text.

I created a file with postscript, then typed following command:
"cat filename > /dev/lpt0" ,but still didn't work ,so i guessed my printer didnt support postscript.

Went on, I installed Ghostscript5.0 package, In ghostscript's configuration window I modified something
necessary, and then  began to print a test page; at this moment my printer worked, all seemed to be
fine,however, when I began normal printing ,my printer still didnt work. To my surprise it still could
print a test page.

1.I wonder if there are some printers that  supported neither plain text or postscript.

2.I want to make my printer work.

any help is appreciated.