Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 13:59:35 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        jds@TracerTech.COM, Hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern_mib.c:int securelevel = -1;

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Bruce Evans wrote:

> > > #ifdef INSECURE
> > > int securelevel = -1
> > > #else
> > > int securelevel
> > > #endif
> > >
> > > Here's the a comment from <sys/systm.h> ...
>
> >By the way, the comment is wrong on one important point: the disposition of
> >this variable in bss vs data will be irrelevant to a cracker.  If the
> >kernel is not immutable, the variable can be patched either way.
>
> Not quite.  The point is to patch the kernel that will be booted from.

Personally, I'll take anything that makes it harder for a computer
criminal.  I agree that we shouldn't rely on these tricks, so maybe the
comment can be augmented with the following:

> However if the kernel is not immutable, a cracker could patch some of
> the code that tests the variable.

BSD/OS and NetBSD are using options INSECURE to switch this feature on and
off.  I'd also like to have this switch so I don't have to keep patching
kern_mib.c when I build kernels that use this feature.

If there are "mile wide" holes in the securelevel stuff we can state that
the feature is experimental in the man pages.  I still would like to have
the INSECURE switch added.  Just make it the default in the GENERIC kernel
so it doesn't change the current default behavior.

Regards,

Mike Hancock