Date:      Sat, 4 Mar 2006 11:20:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Luke Dean <LukeD@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Determining proper order to upgrade

I'm one of those masochists who insists on manually building all my
pakages from the ports collection without using automating software like
portmanager.

Typically I upgrade my ports collection with
cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/supfile-that-I-made-for-ports
then run
pkg_version -v -L '='
to get a list of what I need to upgrade.

Then I
pkg_info -o name-of-each-port
to find out where the port lives in the ports collection, go there, and
then use "make" with whatever custom options I need to upgrade it.

The trouble I have is when one or more of those low-level ports that
everything else depends on gets upgraded.  I can spend DAYS building and
rebuilding ports until everything gets built with the most current
dependencies.
I'm familiar with the "-r" and "-R" switches for "pkg_info", and they are
a huge help in this situation, but I'm wondering if anybody has written a
script that will take a list of packages to be upgraded, examine their
dependencies and what depends on them, and then return a sorted list of
every installed package that should be rebuilt in order to keep the
dependencies current.

I don't want something to automate the whole process - just something to
help me out with determining which ports are affected and what order they
should be rebuilt in.

Some of those port management packages must have something like this
internally.  I guess I could go look there.