Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:32:13 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   incoming perms [was Re: OT: non-Unix ...]

Roelof Osinga wrote:

> Yes. With hindsight - and I got good hindsight! lots of practice -
> Now. What to do with all that egg on my face? Anybody fancy
> eggnog? <g,d&(keeping)r>

Well, looking back :), it wasn't so bad after all. More egg, more
eggnog, ... PARTY!! ;)

The reason I thought it so bad was in part that, somehow, I'd left
my (anonymous) FTP ./incoming directory writeable, on the major
/home partition and unchecked to boot.

Result was that the /home partition filled up for the second
consequetive day. Thereby causing procmail to deliver my mail
into the regular mail file, thus greatly enhancing the impression
there was a runnaway thread. Caused by yours truly, no less.

Now the question would be was there any great hole in the ftpd
daemon of late? uname -a gives:

FreeBSD nisser.com 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #16: Sun Feb 13
14:51:41 CET 2000 toor@nisser.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/FORSETI  i386

I know, I know, I should've upgraded long ago, as well as ...

Also, I checked various sources including Greg's Tome but could not
find a 'definitive' answer - probably because there is none - to the
question of whether or not 'drwxrwxrwt' looks like permissions *I*
- in contrast to some cracker - could've or would've given an incoming
directory?

I think it's reasonable to guess I could've and would've set the
keep bit. Would a cracker take the trouble?

I haven't noticed anything but for the filling up of those last
and final 1 gig remaining, thereby causing above mentioned weird
mail behavior. Couldn't find anything amiss either.

Except for an email someone posted in said incoming directory, for
peet's sake!

Granted, being hacked/cracked would provide enough eggnog to throw
one humonguous party. But even so, could it have been done using the
3.4 ftpd in a chrooted setting? Does it sound like it has indeed
been done?

I do remember tinkering with it. Had to have the facility once
for communication with clients. Furthermore, I sure would not put
it past me to have forgotten all about it. Including closing, let
alone locking, the darned door!

Still, I am wondering. Mightely.

Roelof

PS it *is* a question, maybe it ought've been put to -security.
Then again, I'd forgotten I was subscribed to that one. Found
8,002 mails in a ~26 MB or so mailbox. Brrr.

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.
Nisser home -- http://nl.nisser.com/