Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 1996 08:51:39 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need ld help on SOCKS5 port

Bud Dodson writes:

> gcc -o libsocks5_sh.so -shared msg.so protocol.so ... -lcompat
> ld: No reference to __DYNAMIC
> *** Error code 1
> I grepped all the files in the main and subdirectories for DYNAMIC,
> with no hits so I'm assuming this has something to do with the
> construction of shared libraries on FBSD.  Man pages for ld and
> gcc were no help.  Can someone with knowledge of the internal
> structure of shared objects give me a hint?

On FreeBSD, you build a shared library like this:

    ld -Bshareable -o libsocks5_sh.so.1.0 msg.so protocol.so ... -lcompat

Just use "ld -Bshareable" in place of "gcc -shared".  (I also added major
and minor version numbers to the name of your output file.)

In my opinion, it's a bug that "gcc -shared" doesn't work.  But nobody
(including me) has ever bothered to fix that.