Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 2015 09:56:49 -0400
From:      Richard Kuhns <rjk@wintek.com>
To:        "freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org" <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   virtualbox-ose-4.3.28, FreeBSD 10.2-PRERELEASE #2 r284595 on a Dell 7810

Hello,

I'm having a strange & annoying problem with virtualbox on my new Dell 7810.

I built & installed virtualbox from ports. I'm also running a GENERIC
kernal. The only build-related options I have in /etc/make.conf are:

NO_LPR=yes
NO_PROFILE= true
CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes
OPTIONS_SET= OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS
OPTIONS_UNSET= NLS
############
DEFAULT_VERSIONS=python=2.7 python2=2.7 gcc=4.9 bdb=5 perl=5.22

Virtualbox builds and install without complaint. However, my 32-bit
1-CPU Windows 7 VM that I moved from my previous workstation is acting
strangely. It boots & runs, but performance is terrible. It'll be ok for
2 or 3 seconds, then almost freeze up for a little while (so far always
less than a minute), and then be ok again for a few seconds. 'Almost
freeze up' means Windows stops responding to the mouse, or the busy
indicator spins a quarter of a revolution, then stops, then moves a
little more...

When I first tried running it, I had left hyperthreading turned on in
the 7810's BIOS. The VM took over 5 minutes to boot, and was unusable.
It would eventually respond to a mouse event, though, so it wasn't
completely hung. Disabling hyperthreading made the VM usable, but just
barely.

The only other difference I've seen with my previous desktop machine is
at boot time. I'm now getting the message when vboxdrv loads:

vboxdrv: fAsync=1 offMin=0x3ae80 offMax=0x3ae80
supdrvGipCreate: omni timer not supported, falling back to synchronous mode

I've not seen the 'supdrvGipCreate' message before.

Thanks for any help!
--
Richard Kuhns <rjk@wintek.com>     Main Number:      765-742-8428
Wintek Corporation                 Direct:           765-269-8541