Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:26:57 +0200
From:      David Naylor <blackdragon@highveldmail.co.za>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nvidia amd64

--nextPart1803695.V4ux7cQ6hh

On Friday 28 September 2007 10:21, you wrote:
> Remko Lodder wrote:
> >>  Ok, let's see how we can fund this project. First of all the interest=
ed
> >>  developers
> >>  should assess the bulk of work to do and how long it will take them to
> >>  complete
> >>  it. Then we can think about how many people are interested in opening
> >> their wallet to see it come into being.
> >
> > Lets do it the other way around ,lets see what people are willinoneg to
> > pay for this, so that the person applying for this knows what he can
> > expect. Pay by feature instead of pay by time.
>
> I'm in, as are at least other two posters in this thread.
> I think that if someone set up a web page for the bounty
> and spread the news to other forums a fair number of subscriptions
> will come up.
>
> What we need to know is : what is the bulk of work needed? Can't anyone
> sketch a simple plan with the tasks and the hours/man for each?

Hi

Has anyone contacted the FreeBSD Foundation.  They would be the best to=20
provide this "bounty" service and could most effectively invest and utilise=
=20
the "bounties" for the greater benefit of the comunity while the project is=
=20
under work.  (And they are most likely to be the most trusted people to=20
handle the project and the money). =20

There was a KDE project, Kontact (if I remember correctly), that had=20
implemented a similar facility.  (And of course there is the Ubuntu=20
equivalent). =20

May I also point out that this, specifically with regards to nVidia/amd64 a=
nd=20
generally, can only work if capable hackers are willing to work on the=20
project(s).  Generally with volunteers money is not a critical issue to beg=
in=20
with and thus may not be a strong enough incentive and interest is. =20

I may be jumping the gun here but if this "bounty" principle takes of then=
=20
enthusiasts could earn a descant wage and provide a viable financial=20
community around FreeBSD (with businesses more willing to use FreeBSD knowi=
ng=20
that requested features [and form of support] could be "purchased"). =20

I am also keenly awaiting a nvidia/amd64 driver and am willing to donate wh=
at=20
I can to the good cause. =20

David