Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:43:11 +0100
From:      Bjorn Tornqvist <bjorn.tornqvist@west.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   yp_match: clnt_call: RPC: Timed out

Howdy!

When running analog (it's doing lots of DNS'lookups) I keep getting this
message when a lookup fails. Now, that doesn't really bother me, but I
wonder if this could have something to do with some other problems we
have with FreeBSD here at work.
We have ~10 4.x boxes, in two groups with a VPN between two firewalls,
and a fileserver running NIS and NFS server (inside one group).

The problem we have is that connections (specifically telnet/ftp/ssh
take upto 1 minute to be established (ie from the point where we hit
enter until password/username is prompted).
Doing ping <hostname> etc gives no problem and looks normal.
all hosts have a /etc/hosts file as a backup in case the fileservers NIS
lookup should fail.

Anyone know what causes this?

TIA,
Bjorn