Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 1995 13:21:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
To:        tony@rtd.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd not dying

On Wed, 9 Aug 1995, Tony Jones wrote:

> Do you have carrier detect always asserted? This is bad.
> You should have CD set to follow the remote, and also have the modem set to
> drop DSR when CD drops.
> When you have all of this set up, pppd will get a HUP when the modem carrier
> drops.

Yes, I have CD and DSR following carrier; carrier does drop when the line
disconnects (I put a breakout box on it to make sure; also the same
config worked fine on Linux...)

I actually added code to pppd to see if the HUP is delivered.  It isn't
invoking the trap routine when the modem dies; I guess the HUP is somehow
getting lost in the sio driver?

> I don't need a detach since I don't specify a tty when I start pppd,
> this forces no detach and just uses the controlling tty it inherits
> from the getty.

Yeah, I tried it with both detach and -detach; no effect.  Serious
bummer, that!! :-)

Thanks,

Mike

|Mike Newell                           | The opinions expressed herein are  |
|NASA Science Internet Network Systems | my own, and do not necessarily     |
|Sterling Software, Inc.               | reflect those of the NSI program,  |
|MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov                | Sterling Software, NASA, or anyone |
|+1-202-434-8954                       | else.                              |
|                  work: http://www.eco.nsi.nasa.gov/~mnewell               |
|                    home: http://www.newell.arlington.va.us                |