Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2001 08:56:59 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spam and this list

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 07:46:07PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net> types:
> > Is it not time to make this list open to subscribers only ?
>
> No. This is *the* published address for help with freebsd. We can't
> require subscription to it.

Ok, I do understand that. I did get some (polite) mail from people
explaining that they simply did not have the time or the facilities
to download lots of messages to find the answer to the question they
asked.

> > Get rid of the newsgroup reflection of this list and
> > getting the freebsd.org site search for the archives sorted
> > out would also be a good idea.
>
> I suspect the people operating the mail<->newsgroup gateway would have
> to be talked into killing the newsgroup. Just killing the reflection
> will only create confusion.

I don't completely understand that. Personally I have serious doubts
about how truly useful a newsgroup reflecting a high-volume mailing
list like this really is. But then I don't like usenet anymore - but
that is another story

> Sorting out the archives would be a great idea. If they were working
> reasonably, you would have been able to find out that your first
> question has been asked and answered several times :-).

Yes, I kind of knew someone would point that out .. lol.

> > I am thinking of putting a complete REJECT on hotmail
> > originated messages except for the few personal friends I
> > know who use it. Hotmail and Yahoo are almost always the
> > From address in these spams.

I did not of course mean to imply that these spam arseholes are the only
people who use web mail addresses, but they just a cloak to hide behind
for a lot of people. A long time ago I registerd a hotmail address,
thinking it might be handy sometimes. I don't recall actually ever using
it. A while ago out of curiosity I had a look at it. It had hundreds
and hundreds of messages, every single one of them SPAM, I examined a
few at random all were for porno and get/rich quick schemes. All had
webmail reply addresses. I am very fortunate in that my ISP provides
a web-based email service if you need to use it, but you have to login
as your user with your pop password into it. With that kind of facility
any mail I send is just the same as any mail I send from home through
the normal channels.

> Since we're back on the spam topic, I've just installed tmda (it's in
> the ports tree), as it looks like the first reasonable spam filtering
> system I've seen. Not clear how well it would work with lists, though.

Well I will take a look.
I was particularly pissed off when I wrote that email. I don't want to
block messages from genuine people using webmail addresses to write to
the lists I am on, but most of the time they are scum. I think I will
at least quarantine them for a while and assess the impact.

Thanks for your reply.

--
Regards
Cliff