Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:02:37 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Tyler Ripley <cyberchip@mailcity.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mouse not working in X Windows

On Wed, 18 March 1998 at  9:10:33 -0700, Tyler Ripley wrote:
> I installed option number 5 of FreeBSD, and when I type startx it will start to initialize
> the X Windows system, and the screen will clear, but then it exits out, and says
>
> Fatal Error:
> Mouse not found(device not installed)
>
> but I did install the mouse.  I installed a PS/2 Mouse, because on the bottom of
> my mouse it says PS/2 compatible, but it's also a Microsoft mouse, and I tried that
> option too, and it also did the same thing.  Is there anything I can do to use the
> mouse?

PS/2 mice are disabled by default in the GENERIC kernel.  You should
first enable it with UserConfig.  The latest addenda to "The Complete
FreeBSD", second edition (http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm)
include a description of what you need to do--check out
http://www.lemis.com/errata-2.html.

Greg