Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 17:06:20 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hacking Furiously for the Desktop Contest

On Sun, Jul 19, 1998 at 10:48:27PM -0600, Wes Peters woke me up to tell me:
> Jason C. Wells wrote:
> >
> > OK I am not really "hacking" per se. Following Mr. Hubbard's comments on
> > his recent editorial, I am reusing code.
> >
> > This contest has provided an impetus for me to finally nail down the fine
> > details of my X desktop. I have tried many of the ports looking for that
> > right combination of utility and sexy. I am getting pretty close now.
>
> I'm glad someone is doing it.  I was thinking about packaging up my desktop
> and sending it in, just to kick start the contest.  It's not too fancy,
> but it works.  I basically consists of Enlightenment, Emacs, and Netscape,
> with the "SwingMetal" theme slightly customized to my needs.
>
> We need more submissions, folks.  Grab your CD, put E! or TkDesk or Fvwm
> or whatever on your desktop, hack around a bit, and submit it.  I'd really
> like for someone to submit a complete, working KDE environment just to
> compare against.

Gee....
I use twm (I want an Icon Manager for my Icon Managers!), I have a
disgustingly simple sh script to rotate pictures in my background, I have
about 13 xbiffs, an xpostit, and an icon manager running off the bottom
of the screen despite have another one on the other side of the screen.

I don't think it qualifies as a 'scheme', more like a 'DIP' (disaster in
progress)

Which reminds me, has anyone seen a problem with xpostit's menu stopping
working sometimes randomly?

|       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
* "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
| that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
*    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
|      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |