Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:21:44 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serious em problems under -current on two different platforms

At 08:24 PM 11/17/2006, John Polstra wrote:

>Thanks for the reply, Mike.  I think the PCI-Express risers in this
>box are 8X.  That's what the Dell spec sheet says, anyway.

Havent had too much experience with PCIe riser cards yet, but have
had some experience with bad PCI-X risers.  Any way to test to see if
its a bad riser card? The behaviour almost looks to be a hardware issue ?

>Are you using both ports of the NIC?  With an older driver, em0
>worked fine but em1 did not.

Yes, actually I am testing the forwarding ability of the box.  So far
with FreeBSD, I found that the 2 kernel options below

#options        ADAPTIVE_GIANT          # Giant mutex is adaptive.
options         NO_ADAPTIVE_MUTEXES

and turning on fast_forwarding increases performance and
responsiveness of the box.

Straight Routing test One Stream (http://www.tancsa.com/blast.jpg)
OS      pps
Linux 581,309.81
FreeBSD HEAD 441,559.50
RELENG6 i386 407,403.00
RELENG6 i386 FastFWD 557,589.25
FreeBSD HEAD w Patch 422,294.13
FreeBSD HEAD w Patch FastFWD 567,290.00
AMD64 RELENG6 w FastFWD 574,591.88

The patch has some changes glebius@freebsd.org asked me to test.

> > Do you have them on xover cables or a switch ?
>
>They are connected to a Dell gigabit switch which I haven't ever had
>any problems with.

any errors at the time on the switch port when things lock up ?

         ---Mike