Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 15:46:12 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: clock speedup on SMP boxes

I seem to be seeing the same problem here on one of my machines, but it is
running UP.  There are 4 PPROs installed in the box, but I've never gotten
around to figuring out why it won't boot SMP.  See my next message with
mptable output, etc.

This machine gains about 2000 seconds per day:

FreeBSD beastie.saturn-tech.com 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #1:
 Tue Nov 21 13:59:23 MST 2000 \
 drussell@beastie.saturn-tech.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/BEASTIE  i386.
 3:38PM  up 82 days, 20:30, 3 users, load averages: 0.01, 0.00, 0.00

While, this one, running UP (2 processors installed) running a NEWER
world, is not currently exhibiting this behavior:

FreeBSD mickey.saturn-tech.com 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: \
 Thu Jan 11 17:17:23 MST 2001 \
 drussell@mickey.saturn-tech.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/MICKEY  i386
 3:36PM  up 55 days,  9:17, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.22, 0.27

I haven't had a chance to move things around and reboot or update the
world on these machines, but I have at least two more working NF9000s I
can use to test with, if it helps, but they take about 10 minutes to boot
with 512M-1G of RAM, which makes it a bit of a pain.  :)

I was hoping to have a few ideas before I spend hours and hours twiddling.

> I don't have a good idea right now what causes this, but I have a number
> of ideas I would like people to try out:

I'll give these suggestions from phk a whirl when I get a chance, assuming
this really is the same problem I'm seeing here.

Later......						<Doug>