Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:24:24 +0000
From:      Sergey Lyubka <devnull@asitatech.ie>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Assembly, Kernels and Bootstraps

This is  exactly what I did some time ago.

I wrote a simple program, that was able to boot from
a floppy disk, switched to a protected mode and displayed
some diagnostics.

Then I became curious about 'magic jump' from sectors, segments, and
all that stuff to files, syscalls etc.. I began to discover
how FreeBSD does that. Although manpages was very helpful, they
didn't describe the internals, and I didn't find any other
descriptive documentation.

So I decided to publish the results of my investigations,
to what Terry pointed you. (btw, they are now a part of developers
handbook, http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/boot.html)

The book about protected mode programming Terry has recommended might
be very useful, I didn't read it (I have used Intel manuals and
assembly book written by Sergey Zubkov, which is only in Russian, I guess)

That question I presume is a sign of a more global need of good book
describing FreeBSD internals and philosophy behind it.
Linux community has an excellent 'Linux Device Drivers',
'Understanding The Linux Kernel' etc; why not
FreeBSD community does have such source of knowledge ?
Reading the source code is far not enough. It can reveal the
technique, but leaves the phiosophy, historical issues and
relationships with other suff out from scope.

Respected FreeBSD gurus, please answer on this. Share your knowledge :-)
What about you, Terry?

regards,
sergey

--