Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 15:31:53 -0400
From:      "Alex Vargas" <Exel@SpeakEasy.Net>
To:        "Michael Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: top "nice" CPU usage %

Mike,

I'll take a stab at this:

Top lists various information on system utilization, among them is the
number of processes in each  state  (sleeping,
running, starting, zombies, and stopped), and a percentage of time spent in
each of the processor states (user, nice, system,  and  idle).

Nice =

nice(1)                  - execute a command at a low scheduling priority
nice(3)                  - set program scheduling priority
renice(8)                - alter priority of running processes

and you can also use vgrind

vgrind(1)                - grind nice listings of programs

Hope this gives you some direction.

aV