Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:32:51 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Alan Weber <aaweber@austin.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some un-biased numbers on OS distributions...

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Alan Weber wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 15, 1999 at 03:09:49AM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> -->
> --> Over the past couple of days, I've been trying to come up with some
> --> reasonably unbiased numbers concerning distribution of operating systems
> --> on the Internet...the numbers are depressing so far:
> -->
> --> Operating System Summary
> --> OS       # of Hosts % of Hosts
> --> Windows       37929      74.94
> --> Linux          4750       9.39
> --> Macintosh      2044       4.04
> --> SunOS          1691       3.34
> --> FreeBSD         336       0.66
> -->
> --> Granted, the sample size is still only ~50,000 hosts, but the %ages stay
> --> pretty consistant as most hosts come on line...are we *really* that far
> --> behind?
> -->
> --> Full results can be seen at http://www.hub.org/OS_Survey, and just by
> --> hitting that page, you add to the results...
>

> I think one of the weaknesses of using vistors to collect IPs is you will get
> a sampling of the desktop population. The server population will be totally
> invisible. All the web servers at yahoo will not visit your site. I am also
> am curious what operating systems MSIE, NAV are. I thing that the heavy duty
> server oses are underrepresented. I would expect more HPUX, AIX, SUN, and
> FreeBSD in a server population. Could you test HTTPD/FTP/Telnet ports to
> try and identify servers vs desktops. I am glad that FreeBSD is even visible
> in the desktop domain.

Good point...I was originally using nmap to probe a list of IPs, but there
are just too many ppl out there that automatically associate probing with
crackers, so I switched to this method...

...I've just added an INPUT field to the URL that will allow you to add
an IP to be probed, for those with servers that they want to include...its
at least an attempt to provide a means of getting the servers in there
with the desktops...

As for MSIE and NAV...errors in my parsing routines that I have to work
out.  They will be removed, msot likely tonight, once the main
bootstrapping is done...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org