Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 18:09:03 -0400
From:      "Nick LoPresti" <nick@chromatix.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   System keeps crashing!!!  Please help.

You guys have been great to me.  I hope we can ponder this one out...

My FreeBSD machine will randomly crash.  Well, I shouldn't say randomly.
Usually when under a heavy load or a lot of disk usage(kernel rebuild, make
clean, etc.)

Usually I work remotly so I can't see the error output but this time I set
my laptop up right next to my FreeBSD box and ran a make clean.  Not even 3
minutes passed before it crashed again.  Here is the output.  I am copying
this from my console so it might not be perfect.  I'll try my best though.

fault virtual address    = 0x403e3738
fault code                  = supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer      = 0x8:0xc024d82e
stack pointer             = 0x10:0xc30d9e60
frame pointer             = 0x10:0xc30d9e70
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                                 = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 8263 (make)
interrupt mask           = net tty bio cam
trap number              = 12
panic: page fault

syncing disks... 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
giving up
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

Well, now I have to wait for the machine to reboot so I can send this
message out.

Here is a little more info on the machine:
FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE
CPU: Cyrix 6x86 (486-class CPU)
2 NIC's
Running natd, ipfw, sendmail, apache, named

I will be happy to send any more info if you need it.

Thanks for all your help.

-Nick