Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 1995 20:29:24 +0059 (MET)
From:      Andreas Schulz <ats@g386bsd.first.gmd.de>
To:        duane@dtq.ptw.com (Duane Ellison)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: talk,pop3,Xwinman,webrowse

> 1.	For some reason I am unable to 'talk' on my machine.  I get an
> 	invalid socket.  I have checked the /etc/inetd.conf and talk was
> 	#talk and ntalk was setup, but that doesn't work either.  Now maybe
> 	I am looking in the wrong area, but I am at a loss.

I suspect you are on a standalone machine. talk only works with a
network. No one has fixed that yet, as far as i know.

> 2.	My service provider has pop3 running on his machine and I don't have
> 	a clue as to how to grab the mail from him via a ppp connect.  If
> 	this is generally a bad idea I would appreciate the info

Not necessary a bad idea :-). But, i don't know if there is a good
unix solution to get your mail with pop. You can look at the pine port,
this has something with pop in it.

> 3.	I have ftped and installed /usr/X11R6 and only have /usr/X11R6/bin/twm
> 	as my availble manager.  I pulled the olvwm package and installed it
> 	but can not run it because I get a missing libo*.  I would at least
> 	like to have a different choice of managers to run.

Soemwhere at the same place where the olvwm package is sitting the libraries
are also available.
You can also try the "fvwm", yet another window manager for X, or "piewm".
At least source ports of these two are available.

> 4.	I am sure there is a x web browser but I am unsure of what it is that
> 	I am trying to pull.  I am trying to have a single internet solution
> 	with unix/freebsd wihout having to load a windows or os/2 program
> 	to provide a single part of the solution.

You can get "netscape" available at "ftp.mcom.com" ? You need to use the
BSDI binary. Or you can use "chimera", somewhere in the ports area.

	  ATS ( ats@first.gmd.de or ats@cs.tu-berlin.de )

Andreas Schulz  GMD-FIRST     12489  Berlin-Adlershof  Rudower Chaussee 5
Gebaeude 13.7   Tel: +49-30-6392-1856/+49-177-2134745    Germany/Europe