Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:58:51 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemikals.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wavelan etc

On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 05:44:09PM -0500, Wesley Morgan wrote:
> Couple questions about wireless... I've seen various posts saying the
> wavelan PCI adapter doesn't work, and a couple that say it will in 4.x and
> beyond. What is the actual truth (Mr Losh?)?

Last I heard they don't work.

> And as far as access points are concerned, am I correct in assuming that
> the encryption used between vendors is different and therefore you can't
> cheap out with an off-brand access point while still using a nice
> wavelan/aironet pccard for the mobile?

No.  Anything with a WiFi cert will work, and just about everything else
should.  Encryption is entierly standard.  There appear to be some
issues with vendors who ship access point with incompatable settings on
by default (Intel being a primary offender[0]) but they should all work
with a little tweaking.

-- Brooks

[0] OK, what the f*@! is up with shipping and access point that doesn't
work out of the box with Lucent cards.  There are zillions of those
cards out there and everyone knows about them.  It's not like they are
hard to get or something.  I'd really recommend that no one buy Intel
wireless products until they ship their APs with a decent configuration.
What a bunch of morons!