Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 09:44:44 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange error message

> > > I'm mildly puzzled that the disk works at all in any other situation.
> > > What sort of disk is it?  You say "second" above; do you have another
> > > identical unit?
> >
> > No, I have a smaller 'spare' drive that I keep -current installed on.
> > My primary disk has two partitions, one for Win95, the other FreeBSD.  I
> > can read all of the DOS partition, and all but the root partition on the
> > FreeBSD side.
>
> What sort of connector does the drive have?  Is it a standard small-IDE
> connector?

Nope.

> If so, get a standard<->small IDE adapter and stick the
> drive in a desktop system.  Suck off all your data, and blow a DOS
> partition onto it.

I can do that from the laptop remotely I believe.  I can boot into
single-user and possibly tar up /etc (hopefully the error isn't in
there), and also dump /usr.  I might be able to restore it *IF* DOS can
somehow do bad-block re-allocation.

> If you can format the DOS partition OK (no errors),
> then I'll be mildly surprised.  If not, you have a warranty return on
> your hands.

It's almost 3 years old, so no warranty in in effect here. :(

Nate