Date:      Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:54:40 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Scott Kenney <saken+freebsd-stable@hotel.rmta.org>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world failing because of missing unroff

On Thu 1999-10-14 (10:23), Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	I was thinking that we should either do that, or perhaps make the
> doc tree part of the ports system, so that we can automate the
> dependancies.
>
> 	If neither of these is possible or desirable, I'd like for
> someone to explain to me why, so that I can increase my understanding
> of how FreeBSD works, why it works the way it does, etc....

Ports generally install programs or other bits of data not maintained
by the FreeBSD Project.  The FreeBSD Documentation Project maintains
the documentation in the doc/ tree.

It is incredibly useful to maintain this distinction, especially
when there are occasions where there are freezes in the ports/ or
other trees, whilst the doc/ tree keeps on moving.  This is also
useful should we ever feel the need to implement a categorised-committer
system where people who are just doc/ committers can't commit to
ports/ committers, like if the doc team imports some people.

Also, ports generally install programs and/or documentation that
are stored elsewhere, whereas the documentation project generates
their own documentation.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner