Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2011 07:49:34 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        Denny Schierz <linuxmail@4lin.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org" <freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Build failover ZFS, like HA-Storage from Solaris

On Feb 20, 2011, at 4:59 AM, Denny Schierz <linuxmail@4lin.net> wrote:

> hi,
>=20
> Am 19.02.2011 um 02:39 schrieb Freddie Cash:
>=20
>> And devd provides
>> the hooks into your custom scripts so that when CARP switches from
>> node 1 to node 2, you export the pool on node 1, and import the pool
>> on node 2.
>=20
> but how will I take care, that I don't get a split brain? Or do I think th=
e right way, if I say "Only where the carp IP is active, that node has the f=
orce to import ZFS?" But what happens, if through a power cut both nodes are=
 power on the same time? I miss something like a quorum device or=20

At boot carp devices have a delay that you manually set. If both machines ar=
e powered on at the same time that mechanism prevents both heads asserting c=
arp MASTER. Of course it's imperfect and a staggered power on can defeat the=
 delay. In practice, it's pretty rare. Now what can make carp lose it's mind=
 is that it uses the interface config for a checksum. If the interface confi=
g differs both sides go MASTER. At that point you start getting 50% of your I=
P traffic to each host, as the MAC address in the switch flaps, and so forth=
.  Your scripts probably need to down the CARP device if the ZFS import fail=
s. =20

The reality of two node HA is that split brain is an unavoidable issue. Anci=
ent sailors knew this when they needed precise timekeeping for navigation.  T=
ake one clock to sea or three. If you have two clocks and they disagree...

In practice most of the things that cause split brain to happen would cause i=
ssues even if the rig didn't split brain.=20

Failover while there are active writes is far more of an issue than split br=
ain...

Thanks,

Josh (been there, done that) Paetzel=