Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 02:01:42 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        thomas@cuivre.fr.eu.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI-over-* hacks

> Le 2001-03-21, Mike Smith =E9crivait :
> =

> > > Has anyone implemented/thought of implementing:
> > >   - a CAM transport for ATAPI devices;
> > Yes.  It's not a lot of work.
> =

> Ah, interesting! Do you know if any source code is publicly available?

No, for various reasons it hasn't been done; primarily, the FreeBSD ATA =

maintainer doesn't consider it worthwhile.

> > >   - a CAM transport for USB scanners;
> > No; this wouldn't make much sense, since most USB scanners aren't SCS=
I =

> > devices.
>
> Mine (Minolta Dim=E2ge Scan Dual II, an Avision unit in disguise) is :)=

Think about it for a moment.

SCSI is way of encapsulating scanner commands so that you can transport =

them to the scanner.  So is USB.  The command set your scanner uses is =

probably the same as the SCSI command set, but this is not what a CAM =

transport would give you - it would only give you the layers beneath, =

which would not be useful, since you already have this in the form of USB=
=2E

> > >   - the Linux SCSI generic device (/dev/sg*)?
> > We already have a far superior mechanism (/dev/pass*)
> =

> Think 'Linux binary-only software'...

Think "barfing up a prime rib, plus all the vegetables and gravy".  8)

-- =

=2E.. every activity meets with opposition, everyone who acts has his