Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 20:40:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/12541: gtk installs itself where it can't be found

The following reply was made to PR ports/12541; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 22:30:34 -0500 (CDT)

 On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

 # This was with x11/xscreensaver (see the PR I've entered against that
 # port).  It goes out looking for gtk-config and doesn't find it.

 This is a (mis?)feature of xscreensaver's configure script trying
 to include support for gtk/glib even though FreeBSD's port doesn't
 require it.  It can be handled one of three ways.  Patch the configure
 script to not perform the check.  Add '--without-gtk' to CONFIGURE_ARGS.
 Patch the configure script to look for gtk12-config and add a
 dependency on the gtk12 port.  I haven't tried it with gtk-1.0.*
 installed but my guess is that it won't fail to build.  It definitely
 doesn't fail to build whether gtk-1.2.* is installed or not.  You
 just don't get GTk support.  Which in my opinion and apparently the
 maintainer's no big loss.

 # I can appreciate that there might be a need to link against a specific
 # version of gtk, and the current method is fine for software that knows
 # what it's looking for, but most software would expect to be able to
 # find *something* under the name gtk-config.

 That is why all of the ones in the ports collection that require
 gtk-1.2.* have been patched to use gtk12-config instead.

 #                                              That's why my suggested
 # fix was a link, not a rename.  I still think this is a bug, not a
 # feature.

 This won't work either.  Suppose we do as you say.  We have a port
 A that requires gtk-1.0.* (and won't work with 1.2.* because of
 interface changes), and a port B that works with gtk-1.2.* (and
 this one won't work with 1.0.* because of interface changes).  No
 matter what order you install the gtk* ports, one of them (A,B) won't
 build if you create the symlink and they both try to use gtk-config.
 The only workable solution (and the reason why it is indeed a
 feature and not a bug) is to have the one that needs gtk-1.0.*
 use gtk-config and to patch the one that needs gtk-1.2.* to use
 gtk12-config.  Well their is an alternative and that is to only
 allow the ports that work with gtk-1.2.* in the tree and shun all
 others.  But what happens when gtk-2.2.* comes out next year and
 it looks more like Qt that GTk?   We start the same vicious cycle
 all over again. :-)

 The Gnome people see this as a problem too, which is why most new
 software that requires GTk of one version or another has hooks
 in their configure script to pickup the name of the gtk-config
 script from the GTK_CONFIG variable in the user's environment.  The
 same holds true for glib* with GLIB_CONFIG.

 $ cd /usr/ports
 $ grep GTK_CONFIG */*/Makefile | sed -e 's/:.*//' | uniq | wc -l
       68

 Looks like we have quite a few ports that use it already.

 -steve