Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 00:50:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   -CURRENT release build -- this one WORKS

Hi folks,

Just a quick note -- I have a RELEASE built on my system "codebase.mcs.net";
if you connect there, grab from the path "ftp://codebase.mcs.net/R", with
the release name "ftp", you'll get the current bits.

This particular build is EXTREMELY stable.  I've been unable to crash it
in almost two weeks of trying.

We are running a huge production news server on a PPro 200 here with this,
as well as a bunch of NNTP client machines (using shared active) and will
shortly start loading a lot of other systems with this cut as well.

I have seen *zero* crashes with this build, and ZERO problems.  Other than
the lkm/kernel issue (careful with that Axe Eugene, rebuild liblkm and the
"ps-like" utilities when you play with the kernel bits) this is a great
release.

I have yet to see *any* crashes with this configuration running INN 1.4 on
one of the more busy news environments on the net (dual NICs, dual PCI SCSI
disk adapters, 4 Quantum Atlas 4G drives, the works) as well as on two other
machines I intentionally beat the crap out of to see if I could break them.

The CVS tree I extracted to build this came over here around 26 July.

I'll note that -STABLE, on these same machines, has a half-life before NFS
lockups or similar insanity calls it to fall over and die of about 48 hours.
There are obviously *major* stability improvements between these code cuts.

Enjoy.  As long as people are reasonable with the load, you can feel free to
grab the bits as noted above.

This release does *not* have our proprietary and odd stuff in it, and also
is lacking some of the "backward compatibility" stuff.  In our environment
that this build is being used right now, we don't really care one way or
the other.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1 from $600 monthly; speeds to DS-3 available
			     | 23 Chicagoland Prefixes, 13 ISDN, much more
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1]     | Email to "info@mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 248-9865]     | Home of Chicago's only FULL Clarinet feed!