Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 08:51:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS

>Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 08:20:34 +1000
>From: Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>

>On Sun, Apr 19, 1998 at 06:52:28PM +0200, Haavard Vaagstoel wrote:
>> does there exist a good ground-level tutorial on NFS?

>The only one I recall seeing is a chapter on NFS in the book The Complete
>FreeBSD by Greg Lehey (http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm)

>Has anyone seen another at this level?

Not sure about the "level" reference, but a fairly well-known (if
a little "dated" -- April, 1992) NFS reference in the general UNIX
commnity is Hal Stern's book _Managing NFS and NIS_ (O'Reilly &
Associates -- http://www.ora.com/).

"Datedness" in question refers, among other things, to the lack of
discussion of NFS V3 (since it didn't exist when the book was written.

Also, the book tends to be SunOS 4.x-specific (since Solaris 2.x was
either quite new or hadn't reached First Customer Ship yet (sorry; my
memory of that time isn't too clear on the issue), and since the author
was (is?) a Sun employee, and since the book pre-dated the "ubiquity" of
NFS & NIS in the computing world).

If a new edition comes out, I plan to buy it....  :-)

david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com	(650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 401-0168