Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:59:00 -0500
From:      Eric Johnson <eric@coding-zone.com>
To:        treznor@sunflower.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache question again

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 04:34:34PM -0800, Tyler McGeorge wrote:
> Sorry for not continuing the previous message, but I'm
> not at home at the moment. I looked into VirtualHosts
> on Apache. Has anybody any experience dealing with
> these? I set them up and now either (depending on
> which method of guessing I use): neither one works or
> they both still point to the secondary host. :( Could
> somebody jot up a sample config file for one server (1
> IP) with two domain hosts and different documentroots
> for either host. Or perhaps somebody could glance real
> quick at the config I have now? I am completely lost.

For example, if your IP address is 123.45.67.8 and you have both
domains foo.org and bar.org pointing to your IP, this should get
you started.  http://www.apache.org/httpd.html contains a link to
more detailed info.

===== snippet of httpd.conf

##
## set proper permissions for access to directories
##
<Directory "/usr/local/apache/foo-docs">
  # HTML docs for foo.org go here
  Options None
  AllowOverride None
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>
<Directory "/usr/local/apache/bar-docs">
  # HTML docs for bar.org go here
  Options None
  AllowOverride None
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>
<Directory "/usr/local/apache/foo-docs/images">
  # image files for foo.org live here
  Options Indexes Multiviews
  AllowOverride None
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

##
## Might not be necessary, but doesn't hurt
##
NameVirtualHost 123.45.67.8:80

##
## domain specific HTML, images, and logs for foo.org
##
<VirtualHost foo.org:80>
  ServerAdmin webmaster@foo.org
  DocumentRoot "/usr/local/apache/foo-docs"
  ErrorLog logs/error_log.foo
  CustomLog logs/access_log.foo combined
  Alias /images /usr/local/apache/foo-docs/images
</VirtualHost>

##
## domain specific HTML and logs for bar.org
##
<VirtualHost bar.org:80>
  ServerAdmin webmaster@bar.org
  DocumentRoot "/usr/local/apache/bar-docs"
  ErrorLog logs/error_log.bar
  CustomLog logs/access_log.bar combined
</VirtualHost>

===== end snippet

--
Best Regards,
Eric Johnson            (eric@coding-zone.com && http://www.coding-zone.com)

/home/eric
[eric@coding-zone]$ /usr/games/fortune -s
Whether you can hear it or not
The Universe is laughing behind your back
		-- National Lampoon, "Deteriorata"