Date:      Fri, 3 Apr 1998 08:32:37 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
From:      Yubyub Bird <yubyub@j51.com>
To:        Steven Fletcher <ircadmin@shellnet.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD detecting both of my processors ?

> >You're right - it doesn't look like it's found your second CPU.  From what
> >I know, the SMP kernel doesn't rely on having more than one processor.  It
> >relies on running on an SMP motherboard, i.e. there must be an APIC (which
> >a "normal" uniprocessor board lacks).  As long is there is an APIC, you
> >should be able to run SMP.
>
> This is the bit that confuses me. As NT has been installed on the
> machine before, it recognised both processors as seperate
> entities..... yet FreeBSD cant see 'em.

Well, NT and BSD do things differently.  I'm not exactly sure why BSD
wouldn't pick up the second processor.  I know that NT has bits of code to
handle some strange machines, like Compaq and others, whereas BSD doesn't
have as broad a range [yet].  You may want to check the standard things,
such as making sure your board conforms to Intel's 1.1 or 1.4 spec.  You
may want to try changing that setting if you can (usually in the BIOS
setup).  Several people I know have reported problems on one setting, and
have been able to cure their problems by switching the setting.

Who makes the motherboard?  Are there any known problems with it?  Perhaps
others have had similar experiences with the same brand motherboard?

-yubyub@j51.com
"I had to laugh like hell." - Vonnegut