Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2001 13:35:58 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Giorgos Keramidas" <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Error on xl0

Giorgos writes:

> What internal parameter?

XL_MIN_FRAMELEN

> Perhaps it can be tuned without manually
> changing the sources every time you update.

My impression from what I read on the Web was that this is hardcoded in source.

> If it is not tunable and you think that it
> would be helpful if it was, then you could
> probably ask that it is made configurable
> without a kernel rebuild, by submitting a
> problem report.

I don't know enough about what it does.  Apparently the default buffer for a NIC
somewhere can occasionally empty before the NIC gets time on the PCI bus again,
if someone else is holding the bus and if the buffer is too small.  This
parameter sets the low threshold for the buffer, and the default is 60.  By
raising it to 300, supposedly I can avoid tx underrun diagnostic warning
messages under load.

> But all this is probably wrong, since you did
> not mention what your local changes were :)

I changed the #define for XL_MIN_FRAMELEN from 60 to 300, in module
/sys/pci/if_xlreg.h.