Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 97 15:11:02 -0800
From:      "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Stable List" <FreeBSD-Stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Old stuff in 2.2.5

	First off, I want to emphasize that this is NOT a troll.  I'm
fully aware of the debates about the legacy stuff in -stable, and I don't
want to re-open that can of worms.  What I AM intersted in is learning
which parts of -stable are out of date (in your opinion, I reserve final
judgement :) and how I can replace them in the easiest possible way.  My
reasons for asking this is that with any kind of luck, I'm going to be
installing FreeBSD systems on a commercial level, so I want the best, most
secure systems possible, with the fewest steps.  The two main things I
know about are Perl and curses, so with that in mind, I have the following
questions.  PLEASE, keep all responses flame free and on topic.

Thanks for any help offered,

Doug

1.  What part or parts of the 2.2.5-Stable code (or 22_releng if you
prefer) do *you* consider out of date, and why?

2.  What disadvantages does this out of date component (or components)
cause?  [I'm aware of the perl problems, but I would love some details on
curses.]

3.  What advantage would importing a new version of that component offer?

4.  Is there an easy way to replace the version of that code that comes
with -stable with the newer version *before* I do make world, so that I
don't need to replace or recompile things in a second step after the make
world is done.

5.  Related to question 4, I am particularly interested in replacing perl
4 entirely, since I'm short on hd space (yes I know it's cheap nowadays,
but I'm broke :).  Can anyone tell me if replacing the perl sources that
come from the /src directory on the ftp site with perl 5 will accomplish
this, or if I'll have to install perl 5 after the make world.  Also,
assuming I will have to do it in 2 steps,  what's the easiest way to
delete all of perl 4?

*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the  world's largest
*** Internet Relay Chat server. 4,168 clients and still growing. :-)
*** Try spider.dal.net on ports 6662-4    (Powered by FreeBSD)
***		Part of the DALnet IRC network		***