Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 09:58:10 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Mike Alich <mike@cyber-com.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape Drive

On Wed, 18 March 1998 at 17:06:36 -0500, Mike Alich wrote:
> HELP!
>
> I have installed a new DAT drive.  The systems detected it as the
> Archive Python and is it recognized at "st0".  What exactly is the
> "st0"  I can not find it in my /dev directory.

st0 is the generic name of the device.  In the /dev directory, you'll
only find the raw device /dev/rst0, along with its non-rewinding
version /dev/nrst0.

> What command do I need to do to access this drive?  I have tried "mt -f
> /dev/st0ctl.0 status" and that is the only thing that works.  I can't
> seem to get the "mt" command to rewind or erase the drive.  Can you help
> my to identify the correct device to talk with the drive?

Use the device names above.  I use tar to read and write the tape.
Others use dump and amanda.  I discuss this topic in some detail in
"The Complete FreeBSD", second edition
(http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm).