Date:      Sun, 20 Sep 1998 21:51:45 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        peter@netplex.com.au (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd@timog.prestel.co.uk, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS & SLICE?

> I think Julian's Big Mistake (TM) was bundling the SLICE option with the
> nifty root and /dev bootstrap system.  They don't really seem to be related
> and they seem to get easily mixed up..  Julian first described his design
> for 'slice' to me over 2 years ago, and I thought back then that it was
> ambitious and was going to be an uphill battle.

See other posting.  This problem occurs because the system insists
on making a distintion between root and non-root mounts ate the
FS level.  This leads to a plethora of code duplication, and a
hell of a lot of potential problems.

My complaint about the SLICE code is that it assumes an external agency
will do the disklabel/partition/extended-partition/etc. hacking on a
raw device (i.e., that there is a user space program, rather than an
ioctl(), that abstracts paritioning schemas).

Given the f-ed-up nature of the VFS mount code, it's not surprising
that there should be trouble.

I think SLICE did us a great service when it pointed out that the
MFS implementation was a kludge-on-a-kludge.  The use of direct
calls to specfs in order to call back into the MFS strategy routine
for bmap/getpage/putpages shows that MFS is a gross hack, and needs
to be fixed.

That the SLICE code was backed out instead of the MFS code fixed is
more of a tribute to the necessity of having a working (if half-assed)
MFS being important for the 3.0 release deadline, and people being
willing to do one kind of work (tree reversion) as opposed to another
(fixing MFS and/or writing a memory device driver that uses a kernel
process as a VM container context for the MFS data loaded off the boot
disk, and FFS-formating it, as a stopgap measure).

This is, I think, a rather natural consequence of setting deadlines
in a volunteer organization, and so there's really nowhere to formally
lay the blame.

But this has nothing to do with Julian's failing/merits as an architect
(even if I personally don't like aspects of the architecture he came
up with, for my own reasons -- i.e., I want device arrivals of non-sliced
devices to result in automatic mounts).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---