Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 03:11:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ESS 1868 driver (again)

I got the one email that said that there was some trouble with the ESS
1868 sound driver under FreeBSD-current.  Is there an issue with -current
and newpcm that is causing the 1868 sound driver to not work?  Also, I'd
like to know how to compile the newpcm sound driver as a loadable kernel
module, so that I can just load and unload it with kld{load,unload}.

I tried the patch Sanpei gave me, but no dice (ESS 1868).  When I try
playing certain RealPlayer clips, for example, a 2 minute clip will finish
in about 10 seconds with short bursts of sound along the way.  Actually,
it does play the entire clip through, but the entire clip goes wizzing by
at an extremely high rate of speed with only short bursts of sound along
the way.  Video+audio clips will show a "fast-forwarding" effect with no
or short bursts of sound.

- Donn