Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 11:35:02 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        scrappy@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@serv.net>, Greg Hormann <ghormann@nix.kconline.com>, tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru
Subject:   URGENT, postgresql 6.3 port, need help with make environment

Well, I'm currently trying to get the postgresql 6.3 port
up and running. I'm nearly finished, but I need some help.

Generally, in an ideal world with gnu configure it would
be fine, to tell postgresql's configure something like:
	--with-tcl
	--with-tcl-incdir=$(PREFIX)/include/tcl8.1
	--with-tcl-libdir=$(PREFIX)/lib

But in fact configure isn't prepared to do this automatically,
you have to patch Makefile.global.in ... ;-) Amen.

Now I have another problem, theoretically the TCL interface
stuff (src/interfaces/libpgtcl) should build automagically,
but it doesn't.

src/interfaces/Makefile theoretically has the hooks to decide
automatically, if libpgtcl should be build or not.

SRCDIR= ..
include $(SRCDIR)/Makefile.global
.DEFAULT all:
        $(MAKE) -C libpq $@
#       $(MAKE) -C ecpg $@
ifeq ($(HAVE_Cplusplus), true)
        $(MAKE) -C libpq++ $@
else
        echo $(HAVE_Cplusplus): No C++
endif
ifeq ($(USE_TCL), true)
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        $(MAKE) -C libpgtcl $@
endif
ifeq ($(USE_PERL), true)
        cd perl5 && perl Makefile.PL
        $(MAKE) -C perl5 $@
endif

But this environment variable doesnßt seem to be set if
gnu make enteres the interfaces directory and processes
the "all target".

src/GNUmakefile enters the subdir the following way:

	$(MAKE) -C interfaces all

Here the output of a compile session:

gmake -C interfaces all
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/andreas/src/freefall/myports/work/postgresql
/work/postgresql-6.3/src/interfaces'
gmake -C libpq all
	^^^^^^^^^^^^

The libpgtcl stuff is left out, because USE_TCL isn't defined anymore.

The solution isn't to hack the interfaces/Makefile, to always
compile TCL stuff in, since people wanted to have TCL support
as a port option.

What happens with the make environment ? Out make environment
is defined as
MAKE_ENV=       USE_TCL=true TCL_INCDIR=${PREFIX}/include/tcl8.1
in the ports Makefile.

Please help, otherwise it's absolutely impossible to include
postgresql onto 2.2.6 CD.

Current status is, that I asked Satoshi for permissions.
But I think I would have to get it running today !

Thanks !

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm   http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas