Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 07:39:06 -0600
From:      "Duke Normandin" <dnormandin@freewwweb.com>
To:        "Zhihui Zhang" <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>, "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can not ping myself

:On Saturday, July 15, 2000 9:55 PM Dan O'Connor <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
wrote

>>I have two machines box1 and box2 connected via a parallel cable. I can
>>ping from one machine to the other:
>>
>>box1# ping box2   or box2# ping box1
>>
>>But I can not ping myself:
>>
>>box1# ping box1   or box2# ping box2
>>
>>It says "no route".  These two machines do not connect to the outside
>>network. They run Freebsd 4.0-release. The /etc/hosts contains the
>>following:
>>
>>192.168.1.0 box1 box1.home.org
>>192.168.1.1 box2 box2.home.org
>
>1) If you're not the owner of 'home.org', don't use it (yes, it is a real
>domain name). Use box1.home or something similar.
>
>2) Don't use the x.x.x.0 address, since x.x.x.0 represents the whole
>network.
>
>3) Make sure you have your loopback address in /etc/hosts:
>
>        127.0.0.1             localhost.home localhost
>
>--Dan

I'm interested in learning more about networking 2 machines with a
parallel cable, including the limitations in doing so, if any. Would either
of you gentleman be in a position to point me to an appropriate URL,
please? I'm assuming that that a parallel cable is used in lieue of NICs
and patch cable --- for a 2 machine network. Tia.....

-duke