Date:      Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:08:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Fleck <david.fleck@mchsi.com>
To:        Jason Henson <jason@ec.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Realplay10GOLD] Error: ELF binary type "0" not known

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Jason Henson wrote:

> On 03/11/05 03:47:27, P.H.Tung wrote:
>> I successfully installed Realplayer10GOLD on FreeBSD released 5.3
>> When I run realplay from console, I got following error:
>> ELF binary type "0" not known.
>> /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin: 1: Syntax error: "("
>> unexpected
>>
>> What does it means? any advises?
>>
>> Thanks!
>

> Sounds like a compiler error?  Check man brandelf.
> $ brandelf -l
> known ELF types are: FreeBSD(9) Linux(3) Solaris(6) SVR4(0)
>
> You could try to rebrand it to type 9.
>
> as root:
>
> brandelf -f 9 /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin
>
> But the syntax error, how would that get there?  Try to make reinstall after
> a make distclean if branding fails.

It's a little more mysterious than that.
the Realplayer port is a Linux binary, so branding it for FreeBSD probably
won't work.  But here's what's odd -- I just installed
linux-realplayer-10.0.2_1, and it seems to have installed OK.  When I
check its branding, I get:

bender# brandelf /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin
File '/usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin' is of brand 'SVR4' (0).

so it's not branded for Linux or FreeBSD!  And yet it seems to be ok.

And the 'Syntax error' the OP is getting makes no sense at all.

My suggestion at this point - do

brandelf /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin
file /usr/local/lib/RealPlayer/realplay.bin

and report the results back.

--
David Fleck
david.fleck@mchsi.com